About Our Orthotics prosthetics Services in Southhaven, MS
Orthotics (title=”Greek language”>Greek: Ορθός, ortho, “to straighten” or “align”) is a specialty within the medical field concerned with the design, manufactures and application of orthoses. An orthosis is an orthopedic device that supports or corrects the function of a limb or the torso. An orthopaedic brace, “appliance”, or simply brace is an orthopaedic device used to
- Control, guide, limit and/or immobilize an extremity, joint or body segment for a particular reason
- To restrict movement in a given direction
- To asist movement generally
- To reduce weight bearing forces for a particular purpose
- To aid rehabilitation from fractures after the removal of a cast
- To otherwise correct the shape and/or function of the body, to provide easier movement capability or reduce pain
It combines disciplines of study within the health and physical sciences; mathematics and materials engineering, gait analysis, anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, biomechanics and psychology contribute to the work of orthotists (professionals in the field of orthotics). Patients benefiting from an orthosis have sustained a physical impairment such as a stroke, spinal cord injury or a congenital abnormality like spina bifida or cerebral palsy. Corrective shoe inserts are popularly known as orthotics. Certified pedorthic practitioners (known as pedorthists) are specialists in foot orthotics (pedorthics).
An orthosis is intended to mechanically compensate for a pathological condition. Contact one of our locations nearest you to learn more about our products and services concerning orthotics prosthetics in the greater Memphis, TN, area.